Fun DIY Kids Birthday Party Ideas

birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, DIY birthday party, party planning, kid birthdays, cheap birthday ideas, easy birthday ideas, birthday party

I love throwing parties and trying to come up with fun ways to decorate and label food that won't cost an arm and leg. So far all of my kids birthday parties have mainly consisted of DIY decorations and fun food. 

I have tried to pick fun themes for their parties. Since they are still young, I have chosen their party themes based on what they liked at the time. Sometimes I would narrow it down to two themes and let my little one pick what theme they liked best. Now that they are getting older, they are starting to tell me what they want for their birthday themes. It's hard to argue with a kid over a party theme unless you want to ruin their birthday party so I am doing my best at throwing them parties they want and like on a budget.

For my daughter's fifth birthday she wanted a unicorn party so that's what she got. My son asked for a Spiderman party so that's what he got. My other son likes apples so he got an apple party. 

There are thousands of fun birthday themes out there. Several great and unique themes and I can't wait to throw more parties. Some future parties I have already secretly started planning are a space party and an art party. I like to use Pinterest for inspiration and of coarse add my own touch to every party, especially party themes that aren't as popular like the Apple party I recently threw.

With four kids, I have already thrown my fair share of birthday parties and they are just getting started. 

Here is a round-up of the birthday parties I have thrown so far:

My daughter was obsessed with a pink elephant taggie toy she had so for her first birthday I threw her a Pink Elephant Party. I tried to stick to the color pink - pink food, pink tutu, pink cake, pink decorations. 


pink elephant birthday party, pink elephant, birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget

For her second birthday I threw her a Bubble Birthday. She loved blowing bubbles and playing with bubbles so why not make a party theme out of it? I mainly stuck to the colors blue and purple and things in the shape of a circle - circle shaped decorations, circle shaped foods, and bubble wands as party favors. 

This party theme would be great for a summer birthday, or a warmer weather party so you can go outside blow bubbles, and have bubble related activities. We had the party in December and succeeded minus blowing bubbles because it was too cold outside.


birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, bubble party, bubble birthday party

Tutti-Frutti Party
My daughter said she wanted a fruit party so I threw here a fruit party for her fourth birthday. I turned it into a Tutti-Frutti party. We served fruit, fruity candy, had fruit sayings posted, a strawberry cake that looked like a watermelon, and more!

Check out the full Tutti-Frutti Party HERE!

birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, Tutti-Frutti Party, fruit party, fruit birthday

For my daughter's fifth birthday she asked for a unicorn party and a piñata. She loves unicorns and almost two years later, still ask for unicorn items. I attempted to make her the famous "nailed it" unicorn cake and I made the piñata from a box and tissue paper. The party had a bunch of colorful decorations and food.


My daughter asked for a Frozen party for her sixth birthday. When she was four she said she was going to have a unicorn party, then a Frozen party, the a butterfly party. When the time came, she remembered so we had a Frozen party which worked out perfect because Frozen 2 was about to come out so we went to see it for her birthday. We had Frozen inspired food, games, and winter decorations.

Check out the full Frozen Inspired Party HERE!

birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, Frozen birthday party,

For my sons first birthday, we had a monster party. We stuck to a green and blue color scheme and put eye balls and teeth on everything to make it more monster like. I even turned the high chair into a monster.

Check out the full Monster Birthday Party HERE!

For my son's second birthday, I started out throwing him a Chugga Chugga, Two Two train party that ended up being a Thomas the Train inspired party. I decorated the walkway with chalk, had a picture train, made a train cake, and my favorite part was the food train.


birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, train birthday party, themes the train birthday party, train party

Young, Wild & Three
My son is a wild one so I thought this party theme was perfect for his third birthday, Young, Wild, & Three. I decorated with wood, red, and bears. Everyone's favorite was the trail mix bar!

My computer crashed shortly after the party and I lost most of the pictures, so I was happy I wrote this post so I could still have some of the pictures from the party.


birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, bear party, young wild and free birthday party, young wild and three birthday party

For my son's fourth birthday, I threw him a Paper Airplane party. I had mentioned the theme to him but we were unsure. My husband found a paper airplane polo in the clearance aisle that was his size so it was meant to be. We made a ton a paper airplanes, had a paper airplane toss, a paper airplane cake, and even a create your own paper airplane station.


birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, airplane party, paper airplane birthday party, paper airplane party

Spiderman Inspired Party
My son loves Spiderman. He has Spiderman plushes, blankets, toys, and more. He asked for a Spiderman party so we threw him one. We had a web slinging game, spider related foods, and I attempted to make spider web cupcakes.

His party was the weekend before everything shut down due to Covid-19 so I guess I never got around to sharing his birthday post in all the craziness. I will get on that and hopefully post it soon!

Check out the full Spiderman Inspired Party HERE!   ***COMING SOON***


Construction Party
My third child's first birthday was a construction party. We decorated everything in yellow and orange and did our best to make it look like a construction site. I pulled out the kids dump trucks, served dirt pudding, and even put a sign that said "debris" on the trash can.


birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, construction birthday party, construction party

Oh TWOdles! Mickey's Clubhouse Inspired Party
My third child loves Mickey Mouse. Someone passed on some Mickey's Clubhouse party decorations so I finally decided to use them and thew him an "Oh TWOdles!" party for his second birthday. We had a hot Diggity Dog bar, a Mickey Photo Booth, Mickey inspired cupcakes, and decorated the house to look like Mickey's clubhouse. 


birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, Mickey's Clubhouse birthday party, Mickey party, Oh TWOdles birthday

Since my fourth child was due on my third child's birthday, we celebrated his birthday with his dad's birthday, a month and a half early. We still celebrated his birthday but we had the party early just incase. I didn't decorate, but we severed Star Wars inspired food and I attempted a chocolate decorated cake. Both my husband and son love Star Wars so this was the perfect party food for the two of them. 

We recently had a double birthday party. My third and fourth children's birthdays are a week apart so we celebrated with an apple party. My third child loves apples and just kept saying, "apple" so I threw him an apple party. I made an apple tree toss game, decorated with a "Apple of my Eye" section, and my husband made apple cider cupcakes and caramel apple fudge.

An apple themed party is a great party for fall!

Check out the full Apple of my Eye Birthday Party HERE!

birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, Apple birthday party, Apple party, Apple of my Eye birthday party, Apple of my Eye party

I hope these parties help inspire you when party planning. While it can be stressful to throw a party and come up with everything from food to decorations, I have loved attempting to give my kids the best party I can while on a budget. Almost all of these parties involved DIY games and decorations that are easy and cute.

Pick a theme or have your child pick a theme and then try to think of what goes with that theme. You can easily make labels with a Sharpie and Construction paper. You can make games and decorations by painting card board boxes. Use your resources and use items you already have at home. This will help you save money. Good luck and happy party planning!

What was your favorite party theme I've planned? Comment below!

Pin for later:
birthday theme, party theme, DIY party, birthday party on a budget, DIY birthday party, party planning, kid birthdays, cheap birthday ideas, easy birthday ideas, birthday party

0 Comments