I'm Lucky I'm able to Feed my Baby

I was recently told by a nurse that "It's a good thing you are breastfeeding because they are out of formula in a lot of stores...". I always considered breastfeeding as my way of feeding my baby that was healthier and more cost efficient for my family. There are definitely pros and cons to both breastfeeding and bottle feeding but with everything going on in the world today, all that matters is that your little one is happy, healthy, and fed.

If you have been following my Instagram, you may of noticed that I have been posting a photo every holiday with a saying related to breastfeeding. Since St. Patricks Day was our most recent holiday aka yesterday, I posted the following photo:

breastfeeding, mom blog, nursing, feeding baby, mom life, lucky
I could caption this photo with a funny saying like "Irish I could drink", "I get my milk straight from the tap" or " Mom's got the lucky boobs" to go with the St. Patrick's day theme but the truth is I'm lucky to be nursing.

While at the doctor recently, a nurse told me it's a good thing I'm breastfeeding because most stores are out of formula. With all the social media posts about the Corona virus, schools being closed down, and the lack of toilet paper, I didn't even think about the lack of formula.

I've been fortunate enough to breastfeed this little guy for the last five and a half months. I know that not every mom is able to breastfeed or chooses not too but so far so good. Of coarse there are times when breastfeeding gets the best of me because it feels like that's all I do during growth spurts or days like today when my milk supply is low due to my never ending sinus infection and little man is cluster feeding but I keep pushing through because it's what's best for my baby, hopefully strengthening his immune system. 


Unfortunately I wasn't able to breastfeed my third child and he was on Elecare formula. WIC provided us with seven cans a month and needless to say as he got older that was not enough to feed him the whole month. All those posts about "don't hoard the formula", a can only go so far. While it may look like hoarding, a baby easily uses 5 to 10 cans of formula a month. While I have been "lucky" or should I say fortunate enough to breastfeed my little one this time around - willpower and determination, some mom's haven't been as lucky and are currently struggling to feed their baby.

We don't want any baby to starve so if you see formula somewhere please share the location with a mama you know that needs it. If you are struggling with breastfeeding, try to keep pushing forward, you can do this. If you have a stash of breast milk that you know you won't be using, maybe offer to share some.

No matter how you choose to feed your baby, fed is best! So today I'm going to sit here with no make-up on, with my messy hair, eating some Lucky Charms and breastfeeding my baby. Stay strong mamas! It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Happy day after St. Patrick's Day!!! ☘️☘️☘️

You may also like: 

0 Comments