10 Gift Giving Tips that won't Break the Bank

gift giving, gift giving tips, tips, advice, break the bank, safe money, save money on gifts, shopping tips, budgeting, Christmas gift giving advice, money saving, party gift ideas, gift ideas, save money during holidays, save on gifts, shop clearance, secret Santa, family gift ideas,

The holidays are quickly approaching which means Christmas will be here before we know it. The holidays are the most wonderful time of the year to most but they can also be tough on families all over the world. We all want our children to have the best possible Christmas we can give them but it comes at a cost. Not every family has extra money to spend on gifts for their children. Some families barely have enough money to put food on the table. 

Some parents work overtime to earn some extra money, some pick up a second job, others sign their child up to be on an angel tree and a few skip Christmas because they just can't make it work.

The decorations, the tree, the stockings, the cookies, the wrapping paper, the gifts for everyone and their uncle easily add up to hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Not to mention everyone decides it's the perfect time of year to ask for hand outs. The church's year end fund, the bell ringer at the supermarket, the fill a cruiser with food, food drives, soup kitchens, angel trees, volunteer work, the list goes on and on. 

All of these are wonderful causes and tons of people truly do need help, food, and gifts but it can all become very overwhelming. 

I love Christmas and I know tons of people who are obsessed with Christmas but I will admit that stores go a little cray cray for Christmas. Hobby Lobby was setting up some of their Christmas aisles in July. Walmart moved all the Halloween stuff and started setting up Christmas in September/October. Forget Thanksgiving, stores have moved Black Friday to Thanksgiving day opening at 6:00 AM... Seriously??? 

I have three little ones, soon to be four, and we have one income, my husband who is a teacher. If you know anything about teachers, you know they don't make a lot of money. I am a stay-at-home mom because daycare would cost more than my husband brings in a month. We don't have a fancy car or fancy house but we get by alright and have been blessed.

My family is on a budget but I still like to try to get my kids what they want for Christmas. My oldest's birthday is also in December so that means we have to add birthday gifts and party supplies to our December budget but we make it work even if it means making most of the decorations and cake myself. DIY mom for the win!!! 

The key to making it all work is to plan ahead. Buy gifts on the off seasons when you find a good deal and alway look for a coupon before you check out. I have a closet full of cheaper toys and clothes I have bought through-out the year.

I also save gifts my kids get that I don't think are age appropriate and re-gift them to my kids when they are old enough. I won't be able to do this for much longer because my almost six year old is starting to pick up on everything, but little kids usually have no idea if you re-gift them a gift. No that does not make me a horrible mom, it makes me a smart mom. 

Yes my husband and I sometimes still over buy when it comes to gift giving, it's hard not to, but we do our best to stick to our budget and not go overboard.

Here are some ways you can buy gifts for your family without breaking the bank. 

Follow one or all but I guarantee they will help save you money when it comes to gift giving. This list is great for birthdays, Christmas, Easter or any other holiday that gifts may be given.


1. Limit the Amount of Gifts Given
Try limiting the number of gifts you give everyone. My husband and I have talked about it and we plan to eventually limit it to four  gifts (something you need, want, wear, & entertainment - movie, book, game); of coarse whatever Santa decides to bring and maybe some candy in the stockings.

By limiting the number of gifts you are less likely to break the bank. You can choose any number you want but I suggest keeping it under ten. If I buy to much for my kids, I save it for another holiday or birthday. You can always return the gifts if you decide you bought to much as long as you keep the receipts!


2. Shop Sales throughout the Year
Every year I buy toys and clothes I find on sale and save them until I need them. The down fall is you may forget what you bought and end up buying to much but if that happens, just save it for Easter, a Birthday or ask a relative if they want to buy it from you to give to the person.

I have bought several new clothing items for my kids from .30 cents to $3. I bought a game for $7 in the clearance aisle one year and that winter it was in the game aisle in a bigger box for $19. At the end of summer I bought a kids sprinkler for $4 and saved it for Easter. The next summer it was $15. Buying gifts through-out the year has definitely saved us money, you can't be a those deals!


3. Always Check for Coupons
Most stores have coupons or coupon apps you can use. You can sign up to receive e-mails to stores you shop at most and they will randomly send coupons to your e-mail.

If you are in a store, always check to see if they have a digital coupon online. You can easily type in the name of the store followed by coupons into google to check. Retail Me Not is a good website/app for coupons.

If you sign up for store credit cards you can get a bigger discount as well. I personally try to avoid store credit cards because credit cards can actually make you become more in debit if you don't pay them off right away. If you go the credit card route, make sure to pay it off ASAP because that's how they get you.


4. Secret Santa - DON'T Buy Gifts for Everyone
One of the biggest expenses every Christmas is buying everyone and their uncle a gift. You buy your spouse, kids, siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, nieces & nephews gifts. Some may even buy their kids teachers, boss, preacher, neighbor, babysitter, etc... a gift. Yes it is the season of giving but that's a lot of gift giving and it adds up quickly.

I am one of five children. A few years ago we started playing Secret Santa. Every Thanksgiving my siblings, our significant others and our cousins write down what we like (color, size, gift card places, candy, etc...) and our name on a piece of paper and draw names. We set a price limit (usually $20-$25) and only buy for that person. That way everyone gets a gift and we don't have 10-15 people to buy for. You can play Secret Santa with your whole family, aunts and uncles included if you want. It is fun because you never know who you are going to get and it saves everyone time and money.

A few other alternatives are to play White Elephant where everyone brings something they already have but don't want anymore and you pass the gifts around or draw numbers, pick a gift and steal a gift that way you aren't spending any extra money. Most White Elephant gifts are gag gifts but not always. You can also bake a few holiday desserts and pass them out to loved ones. Baking is a simple way to show you care.


5. Go Halfsees
You found the perfect gift for your mother but it is a little out of your price range. Split the cost with another family member or maybe two or three. Ask and possibly even collect the money and go buy your mom the perfect gift. Make sure to ask your family members first and tell them what the gift is because everyone may not want to go in on it.

I wanted to buy my mom a massage one year so I mentioned it to my siblings and two of them went in on the cost with me. We all put in what we could and I went out and bought a gift certificate for a full body massage. 


6. Buy what they Need
Ask whoever you are buying gifts for what they need and stick to it. By buying what the person needs, they are less likely to return it and you won't spend hours on end trying to think of the perfect gift you "think" they will love.


7. Give Experience Gifts
Experience gifts are a great idea. This can be something as simple as a written coupon for a trip to the movies or something more extravagant like paying for a year of dance class. Experience gifts can be super simple. All you technically need is a pen and paper that says "This is good for ____.". You may even be able to share the experience with the person depending on what it is. Just make sure you give them an experience they would like not what you like.

Some possible experience gifts are a trip to the zoo, tickets to a sports game, movie tickets, concert tickets, gymnastic lessons, pay for them to join a sports team, a painting class, a pass for a sleepover at your house, a pass to play basketball at the park, an IOU a day at the pool. 


8. Make a Homemade Gift
I love making gifts for people. I feel like homemade gifts are more personal and come from the heart. Most homemade gifts will be a lot cheaper than it would if you were to buy it at the store. The best are when you already have all the supplies so it ends up only taking time.

I have made several gifts from Decorated Beer Boxes to Watercolor Picture Frames, Scribble T-shirtsPersonalized Puzzles and Personalized Tumblers. Some things are super cheap, if not FREE like the series of Chalk Art Pictures I took of my kids to more planned out like The 12 Dates of Christmas gift I made my husband.


9. Buy Gently Used
If you could buy the toy your child has been asking for for half the price would you? I know I would. You never know what your child is going to play with. Even if they ask for a toy, it may end up sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Lucky for you, that means that you don't have to pay full price for those items. 

Several second hand stores such as Kid to Kid, Once Upon A Child, Good Will, Flea Markets, Pawn Stores and Consignment stores sell gently used toys and electronics. You can even check yard sales, yard sale sites on social media, Craigslist, or ask your friends on social media to keep an eye out for someone selling an item you want. Just be careful when meeting people in person and make sure to check out the item you are buying before you pay. 

I recently bought a brand new game for $3 at a consignment store that was selling for $15 elsewhere.  I found a like new Batman Batcave for $4 at Goodwill that was $58 at Walmart. I also found a pair of gently used toddler roller skates for $4 at Swap Days that retail for $30+. My kids are still young so to them a toy is a toy.


10. Keep to the List
Make a list of the items you want/need to buy for people and stick to it. By making a list you are more likely to finish shopping earlier because you will know exactly what you need to buy so you can go in the store, find that item, check out and leave. No walking around looking at other items thinking "maybe they would like this...".


Try one or try them all. Hopefully something sparked your attention and you are able to make it through the holiday season without breaking the bank. These are all different ways my husband and I have used to help save us money when it comes to gift giving. They all have worked for us and hopefully will work for you. It takes time and maybe even some self discipline but I know you can do it! 

I'd love to know how you save money during the holidays. Comments below!

Pin for later:
gift giving, gift giving tips, tips, advice, break the bank, safe money, save money on gifts, shopping tips, budgeting, Christmas gift giving advice, money saving, party gift ideas, gift ideas, save money during holidays, save on gifts, shop clearance, secret Santa, family gift ideas,



You may also like:

0 Comments