Butterfly Homemade Halloween Costume

butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, homemade butterfly costume, butterfly, homemade costume, butterfly Halloween costume, Halloween costume, kid costume, toddler costume, animal costume, butterfly tutu, butterfly hair, butterfly make-up, last minute costume, easy costume,

Last Halloween my family went with Safari themed costumes. All the costumes were pretty easy to make and ended up looking super cute when we were all together.

When I asked my daughter what animal she wanted to be, she picked a butterfly. I'm not sure if it's because she likes butterflies or because we recently had our temporary pet butterflies but it ended up working out perfect because I was planning on making her a tutu for her fifth birthday party so went ahead and made the tutu early to get double the use out of it.

Her costume was pretty easy to make. The hardest part to make was the tutu and that wasn't that hard, just time consuming. 

Keep reading to find out how I made her costume.

safari costume, safari Halloween costume, animal costume, family costume, DIY family costume, family of 5 costume, homemade costume, kid costume

Homemade Butterfly Costume


What you'll need:
  • Butterfly Wings
  • Tutu       ***Click HERE for my Tutu Tutorial!***
  • Pants & Shirt to match 
  • Face Paint/Eyeshadow
  • Necklaces - Optional

Cost: Approximately $13

The main cost was the supplies to make the tutu. I made my daughter's tutu from ribbon and three things of tulle. I waited until the supplies was 50% of at Hobby Lobby to buy it which made the tulle around $2.99 for a 6" spool and the ribbon around $1.99. You will have a ribbon left over.

I bought the butterfly wings and necklaces from the Dollar Tree for $1 each.


How To:

1. Start by finding a pair of butterfly wings you like.

I found the butterfly wings at the Dollar Tree for $1. They had several different colors to choose from. You may be able to find a butterfly wing/antenna set depending on what store you go to and how much you are willing to spend.

You can also make butterfly wings out of cardboard, Paint/Tissue Paper, and string. You can follow my Cardboard Shark Tutorial but cut out Butterfly wings instead of a shark and let your kid decorate the wings.


2. Make a tutu or buy a tutu that matches the butterfly wings.

You can wear a dress with the wings if you'd like to skip this part. I personally think the tutu helps make the costume pop and adds to the whole homemade part of the costume.

***Check out how I made my daughter's No-Sew Tutu HERE!!!***

DIY costume, DIY tutu, Butterfly tutu, Butterfly costume, homemade tutu, homemade butterfly costume

3. Find a top and pants/leggings that match the color scheme of your butterfly wings and tutu. Put the tutu on over the clothes.

I used a plain yellow shirt and blue patterned leggings my daughter already had to wear under the tutu. Like I said above, you can wear a dress with the wings if you don't like the idea of wearing a tutu.

Below is a picture of the outfit my daughter had on under the tutu along with some of the candy she got at Halloween festivities!


4. Butterfly Antennas
You can make butterfly antennas but I styled my daughters hair into two buns to represent the antennas.

You will need four hair ties. Make two pig tails and secure. Then wrap the pig tails up and around the hair tie and secure again with another hair tie. 

I didn't make the butterfly antennas because I didn't think my daughter would wear them all night so the hair antennas was my solution!

You can easily make butterfly antennas out of a headband, pipe cleaners and pom poms OR I'm sure you can find a butterfly antennas headband at a Halloween store or in the costume section at a store.

butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, homemade butterfly costume, butterfly, homemade costume, butterfly Halloween costume, Halloween costume, kid costume, toddler costume, animal costume, butterfly tutu, butterfly hair, butterfly make-up, last minute costume, easy costume,

5. Butterfly Make-up
This is of coarse optional but I think it adds to the costume, plus, what little girl doesn't want mommy to do her make-up?!?!

You can use face paint and glitter, but I used eyeshadow and eyeliner that I already had to make a butterfly like mask.

We dressed up in the Safari Family Costumes three different nights so my daughters make-up was always different, but for the most part I used a pink and blue eyeshadow. I added a little gold shimmer eyeshadow as well. I used black and pink eyeliner to add some dots and make a butterfly wing shape around the outside of her eyes. I also put on a little pink lipstick and gloss. The make-up is suppose to resemble a butterfly mask.

butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, homemade butterfly costume, butterfly, homemade costume, butterfly Halloween costume, Halloween costume, kid costume, toddler costume, animal costume, butterfly tutu, butterfly make-up, butterfly mask, last minute costume, easy costume,

6. If you haven't already, put on the complete outfit - tutu, butterfly wings, necklaces - and you are ready to go Trick-or-Treating! Have fun and be safe!

butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, homemade butterfly costume, butterfly, homemade costume, butterfly Halloween costume, Halloween costume, kid costume, toddler costume, animal costume, butterfly tutu, butterfly hair, butterfly make-up, last minute costume, easy costume,

This homemade butterfly costume is great for Halloween or even a school play. It is pretty easy to make and doesn't cost a ton. You can switch it up however you want - change the colors scheme, add more make-up, add costume antennas, make a shorter tutu. Personalize the butterfly costume to suit your needs.

My daughter loved being a butterfly for Halloween. She also loved dancing and twirling in her tutu at one of the Halloween festivals we went to. We still have the wings and tutu so if she wants to she can now dress up as a butterfly for fun.

I'd love to know what color scheme your little butterfly went with. Comment below!

Keep scrolling for more pictures!

0 Comments