Why I'm a Bad Mom but a Good Parent

Why I'm a Bad Mom but a good Parent, bad mom, bad moms, bad mommy, good parent, good parenting, parenting advice, parenting, being mommy, I'm a bad mom because, I'm a good parent because, all about the kids, parenting tips, being a parent, raising good kids, no pacifier, no co sleeping, healthy kids, healthy choices, positive parenting, parents, mom life,

Let's be honest, we have all had a bad mom moment in our lives, some more than others. Lets face it, parenting is hard, it doesn't come with a manual and no body is a perfect parent no matter how hard we try to be.

There are days I feel like I am a bad mom because I let my kids watch TV all morning while I browse the internet, binge watch a show or work on my blog. I think to myself - I need to be more active, I need to go more places, I need to let them play outside, I need to play more games with my kids and make more crafts. Let them color more. Teach them how to talk, how to write, how to walk. Teach them about manners and read more books to them but I just sit there with no energy on my computer thus resulting in a bad mom moment.

I am by no means a perfect parent and I honestly don't try to be. As long as my kids are safe, fed and clean then I think I am doing a pretty good job. This whole parenting thing is harder than people think, especially when you have three kids all within three years of each other. Yes parenting has it's pluses like always having someone to love you and baby cuddles but it also has it's negatives like lack of sleep and a Cheerio filled couch.

One of my favorite parts of parenting so far is the bluntness of my kids. Kids tell it how it is, plain and simple. They don't care if it is rude, mean or nice because they are kids and haven't been taught the difference yet or at least mine haven't as they are all under the age of four. Lately my daughter's go to when she is upset is "Bad Mommy". My one year old has even picked up on it and started telling people they are bad when they do something he doesn't like.

So that being said, yes I am a bad mom but I am a good parent. Here is why:

I'm a bad mom because I don't limit my kids screen time. 
Yes they watch two hours of TV a day, usually twice a day and sometimes more but I'm a good parent because I turn on educational shows so they at least learn something. KET for the win!

I'm a bad mom because I still distill their juice with water like they are babies. I don't allow my kids to drink tea, soda, or punch just juice and water but I am a good parent because I am limiting their sugar intake and keeping them healthy. They can drink sugary drinks when they are older if they choose to.

I'm a bad mom because I don't let my kids play on or have phones, I-pads, tablets, etc. What, how do you manage?! My kids are still young and I want them act young. I see kids with their face in the phones playing games with no human interaction and I hate it. I'm a good parent because I want my kids to use their imagination or go outside instead of having their face in the phone.

I'm a bad mom because I don't let my kids help themselves to candy and junk food except on special occasions. I don't know why everybody thinks kids need candy and offers it to them everywhere you go but they don't. They don't need candy at the bank or after they eat. Candy is not healthy. I'm a good parent because I make sure they get some sort of fruits and veggies every day.

I'm a bad mom because I return or re-gift gifts throughout the year. 
We have several toys that just sit there and never get played with so when we get a ton of toys, I keep some of them hidden and re-gift them to my kids throughout the year. I'm a good parent because what kid really needs ten plus new toys all at once?

I'm a bad mom because I don't let my kids sleep in my bed. 
My bed is my bed, a place that I actually get a few minutes of me time every night and it is definitely not big enough for five people. I get the occasional nightmare or horrid storm but my kids sleep in their own beds and have since they were at least 8 months old. I'm a good parent because I am teaching them independence.

I'm a bad mom because I took away the pacifier once my kids turned one. Two of my kids never really took to the pacifier but the one that did relied on it so I took it away and replaced it with a stuffed toy to become attached to instead. I'm a good parent because pacifiers = messed up teeth and delayed speech, need I say more.

I'm a bad mom because I make my kids clean up.
I personally hate it when the house is a mess. Yes I know kids will be kids and kids make messes. Mine love to make messes but that doesn't mean that the mess has to stay there. Before lunch and before bedtime I make my children clean up their mess. I'm a good parent because by my kids cleaning their mess, it is less work for me to do, less stress on me because like I said I hate messes and it is teaching my kids about chores and being responsible. Why live in a messy house if you don't have to?

I'm a bad mom because I show favoritism.
Depending on the the day and how the kids are acting, I show favoritism. Admit it, all parent secretly have a favorite child. I know mine did and I know that Grandma's have a favorite grandchild as well. Sometimes it's obvious but the key is to never admit it to your children. My favorite child honestly depends on which child is behaving best that day so needless to say it is always changing. I'm a good parent because well at least I'm honest.

I'm a bad mom because I have put my kid in time-out in public.
This does not happen often and I hope I never have to do it again but when your kid is misbehaving and not listening what else are you to do? A simple "Go stand in the corner" is worth a try. They will look at you like you are crazy but they are most likely going to learn their lesson and won't act out next time to avoid embarrassment. I'm a good parent because I don't let the kids control the situation.

I'm a bad mom because I don't miss my kids when I finally get a break.
Yes I wonder and pray they are behaving and safe but I'm around them 24-7; mommy needs a break so mommy is getting a break. I'm a good parent because I know I left them in good hands.

I'm a bad mom because I don't let my hormones get the best of me. 
When it comes to milestones such as birthdays I don't cry and get all emotional, or at least not yet. Don't cry because your baby is growing up, be happy they are growing up and experiencing life. I'm a good parent because I celebrate the little things.

I'm a bad mom because I forget things. 
My keys, my wallet, my kids... just kidding, that would be bad. I'm a good parent because I make lists to help remember, especially when it comes to groceries.


Theses are just a few reasons why I'm a bad mom but a good parent. I'm sure I could come up with more but these will do. Every parent is different and raises their kids differently. Some parents have strict rules to follow while others could care less. Either way, it should not be all about what the kids want.

As a parent, you need to do what is best for your kids, not what your kids think is best for them thus resulting in being a bad mom but a good parent. By my daughter telling me "Bad Mommy" I know that I am doing what is right. It is not my goal in life to make my kids happy but to keep them safe and healthy. Feel free to share some of your bad mom but good parent moments below!


3 Comments

  1. Great Blog....and i love the pics n slogan tees..You are an awesome mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, the shirts were gifts from my husband!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so creative and informative. You are a great Mom, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete