Safari Themed Family Halloween Costume

For Halloween this year my family went with a Safari theme. My husband was a Safari guide, I was a snake in a bush and my kids dressed up as safari animals - butterfly, lion and zebra. I let my two older children choose what animal they wanted to be and got to crafting.

A Safari theme is a great theme to for a group or family costume for Halloween or any themed party. You can add as many animals as you want to the theme. The possibilities are endless from a money to turtle, bird, lizard, cheetah, giraffe and more.

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costumes, family costume, family theme costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, DIY Halloween costume, group costume, large group costume idea, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  safari guide costume, snake costume, lion costume, zebra costume, butterfly costume, DIY safari guide costume, DIY snake costume, DIY lion costume, DIY zebra costume, DIY butterfly costume,

I think this was one on my favorite family Halloween costume themes that we've gone as. The animals matched my children's personalities perfect. My son keep ROARing, my daughter kept twirling and my baby kept galloping. It was hilarious.

I tried to base the costumes off items we already had to save on money. Our Halloween costumes were actually inspired by my leaf romper. I was looking at it and thought "hey let's go as a Safari theme. The kids can be animals and I'll do something with this..." At the time I had not idea how it was going to turn out and when I told people we were going as a Safari they all just kind of nodded there heads but I think it turned out super cute and we got a lot of compliments.

The Safari Guide


DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  zoo keeper, safari guide costume, DIY safari guide costume, toilet paper binoculars, guy costume,

What you'll need:
  • Boots
  • Tall Brown Socks
  • Khaki/Brown shorts
  • White Button-up short
  • Safari Type Hat
  • Binoculars 

Cost = FREE
My husband already had all the clothes. We used my son's camo hat; you could also use a cowboy hat. We had toy binoculars but I decided to make binoculars out of toilet paper roll (Toilet Paper Binoculars Tutorial COMING SOON!). The toilet paper binoculars are very light weight and made the costume look more goofy which is what we were going for.

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  zoo keeper, safari guide costume, DIY safari guide costume, toilet paper binoculars, guy costume, DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  zoo keeper, safari guide costume, DIY safari guide costume, toilet paper binoculars, guy costume,
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Snake

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, snake costume, DIY snake costume, girl costume, snake in bushes costume

What you'll need:
  • Leaf/snake patterned clothing
  • Boots 
  • Stuffed Snake
  • Green Face Paint/Eyeshadow
  • Leaf Ribbon - Optional

Cost = $1.99
I recently bought a leaf romper on clearance which inspired the Safari themed costume. Since it was cold out this Halloween, I put some mint colored leggings on under the romper and paired it with brown boots. I borrowed the stuffed snake from my brother and wore it around my neck. 

I used different shades of green eyeshadow I already had to make it look like a mask across my eyes. I bought some leaf ribbon from Hobby Lobby and tied it around my head to make a head band. This is all of coarse optional but it adds to the costume.

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, snake costume, DIY snake costume, girl costume, snake in bushes costumeDIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, snake costume, DIY snake costume, girl costume, snake in bushes costume
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Butterfly


DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, girl costume, tutu costume, fairy princess costume, fairy costume

What you'll need:
  • Butterfly Wings - Dollar Tree for $1
  • Tutu 
  • Pants & Shirt to match 
  • Face Paint/Eyeshadow
  • Necklaces - Optional

Cost = $10 with left over ribbon
I made my daughter's tutu from ribbon and three things of tulle. I waited until it was 50% of at Hobby Lobby to buy it (DIY Tutu Tutorial COMING SOON!). I bought the butterfly wings and necklaces from the Dollar Tree for $1 each.

I used a plain shirt and pants my daughter already had to wear under the tutu. The tutu and necklaces are also going to be used for my daughters birthday outfit. 

You can make butterfly antennas but I styled my daughters hair into two buns to resemble the antennas. I used eyeshadow to make a butterfly like mask on her face. These are both optional of coarse.

***Check out the full DIY Butterfly Costume Tutorial HERE!!!*** (Coming Soon)

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, girl costume, tutu costume, fairy princess costume, fairy costume, butterfly makeup, DIY butterfly makeup
DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, butterfly costume, DIY butterfly costume, girl costume, tutu costume, fairy princess costume, fairy costume
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Lion


DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, lion costume, DIY lion costume, kid costume, lion mane idea, lion tail idea

What you'll need:

Cost = $15 with a lot of leftover yarn
We didn't have any pants or shirts to work as a lion so we had to buy some. I just bought the cheapest brand at Walmart. I also bought some yarn that was different shades of brown to make a mane and tail.

I used cat ears I bought at the Dollar Tree for $1 as the base of the mane. You can easily add a felt belly to the shirt if you want but I wanted to be able to use the shirt again so didn't




DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, lion costume, DIY lion costume, kid costume, lion mane idea,
DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, lion costume, DIY lion costume, kid costume, lion mane idea,
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Zebra


DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, zebra costume, DIY zebra costume, kid costume, duct tape costume

What you'll need:
  • Black shirt and pants
  • White Duct Tape
  • Zebra Tail    ***Click HERE for my Yarn Tail Tutorial!***
  • Zebra Ears
  • Black Face Paint or Eyeliner for the nose

Cost = $1
My son was originally going to be a monkey until I found Zebra ears at the Dollar Tree for $1 so we switched his costume to a Zebra and I'm glad we did because we had the rest of the supplies already.

I basically used white duct tape to make Zebra stripes on his shirt and pants. I made a tail out of yarn and gave him a black nose using eyeliner.

***Check out the full DIY Zebra Costume Tutorial HERE!!!***

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, zebra costume, DIY zebra costume, kid costume,
DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costume, couples costume, family costume,  kid costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, zebra costume, DIY zebra costume, kid costume, duct tape costume

Like I said before, I think this was one on my favorite family Halloween costume themes that we've gone as. The possibilities for this family themed costume are endless as there are so many animals to choose from. You can easily make most of these costumes from supplies you have sitting around if you are on a budget.

I made all five costumes for around $25 and still have supplies left. If I had a brown outfit for my son already I would of spent around $15. Good luck buying five costumes for $15 at the store.

I love seeing people's creativity come out at Halloween time and I love making family themed costumes while I still can.

Here are a few of my favorite photos from all our Halloween activities:

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costumes, family costume, family theme costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, DIY Halloween costume, group costume, large group costume idea, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  safari guide costume, snake costume, lion costume, zebra costume, butterfly costume, DIY safari guide costume, DIY snake costume, DIY lion costume, DIY zebra costume, DIY butterfly costume,
DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costumes, couples costume, couples theme costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, DIY Halloween costume, safari guide costume, snake costume, DIY safari guide costume, DIY snake costume, couple costume idea, zoo keeper and animal costume, DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costumes, family costume, family theme costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, DIY Halloween costume, group costume, large group costume idea, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes, lion costume, zebra costume, butterfly costume, DIY lion costume, DIY zebra costume, DIY butterfly costume,
DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costumes, family costume, family theme costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, DIY Halloween costume, group costume, large group costume idea, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  safari guide costume, snake costume, lion costume, zebra costume, butterfly costume, DIY safari guide costume, DIY snake costume, DIY lion costume, DIY zebra costume, DIY butterfly costume,

Comment below with your favorite safari animal!

Pin for later:

DIY Safari theme costume, Safari costumes, family costume, family theme costume, easy costume, Halloween costume, homemade costume, zoo theme costume, DIY Halloween costume, group costume, large group costume idea, zoo animal costume, DIY animal costume, animal costumes,  safari guide costume, snake costume, lion costume, zebra costume, butterfly costume, DIY safari guide costume, DIY snake costume, DIY lion costume, DIY zebra costume, DIY butterfly costume,

0 Comments