Toddler Sensory Activity using Jelly

I was cleaning out my cabinets and found some expired jam. I have no idea where it came from, I think it was passed on to us but being that it was a year or two past expiration I was afraid to eat it. 

I thought about tossing it but I hate wasting food. If I notice something is nearing expiration I will either pull it out to be cooked or make a pile to take to our local donation box. 

Since the kids were hovering, I decided to have some fun. Instead of tossing the jam in the trash I poured it into a zip lock back and handed it to my little ones. They laughed and just stared at me like "what are we suppose to do with that?". I showed them that they could make cool designs in it.

sensory play, fine motor skills, preschool activity, preschool play, toddler activity, learning, toddler sensory, jelly, expired food uses, playing with food, learning letters, learning shapes, jelly sensory play, writing with jelly, kindergarten activity,

They instantly became super excited and started fighting over who got to play with the jam filled bag first. My oldest wrote a few letters while my boys mainly drew lines and funky shapes. Who would of thought something as simple as a jam filled bag would keep the kiddos occupied the entire time I cleaned out the kitchen plus some?!

The kids took turns sharing the bag and when they were done, I left it on the counter for a few more days of fun until I eventually tossed it.

This activity is super easy and fun!

sensory play, fine motor skills, preschool activity, preschool play, toddler activity, learning, toddler sensory, jelly, expired food uses, playing with food, learning letters, learning shapes, jelly sensory play, writing with jelly, kindergarten activity,
sensory play, fine motor skills, preschool activity, preschool play, toddler activity, learning, toddler sensory, jelly, expired food uses, playing with food, learning letters, learning shapes, jelly sensory play, writing with jelly, kindergarten activity,
sensory play, fine motor skills, preschool activity, preschool play, toddler activity, learning, toddler sensory, jelly, expired food uses, playing with food, learning letters, learning shapes, jelly sensory play, writing with jelly, kindergarten activity,

If you can't tell by the pictures, they enjoyed it!

All you need is a zip lock bag and some jam, jelly or some other type of goopy food (ketchup, mustard, ranch, pudding) to fill the bag with. Make sure you let out all the air and seal the bag good to avoid the bag popping. 

Give the bag to your little one and show them what to do.

They can practice writing letters, numbers, shapes, or just draw and repeat.

Keep an eye on them incase they try to open the bag or start hitting the bag so it doesn't bust open and create a mess. 

This activity is great for teaching Fine Motor Skills and Sensory Play. 


Pin it for later:
sensory play, fine motor skills, preschool activity, preschool play, toddler activity, learning, toddler sensory, jelly, expired food uses, playing with food, learning letters, learning shapes, jelly sensory play, writing with jelly, kindergarten activity,

1 Comments

  1. This is a fun idea. A great way to work on fine motor skills and shape, letter, and number recognition. I might be able to use this in the classroom. I often find that I have let things expire. lol

    ReplyDelete