Rock Painting Activity for kids

DIY rock painting activity, rocks, rock painting, children activity, kid activity, free kids activity, free kid craft, rock craft, DIY, kid crafts, fun crafts, fun kid activity, DIY rock painting, painting, outdoor art, outdoor craft, non messy craft, non messy activity, paint rocks, rock animals, rainbow rocks

We have a bunch of rocks around our tree and mailbox. Over time I have let my kids color on the rocks with chalk, spray the rocks with water, play with the rocks by filling their dump trucks and I even used the rocks to reveal the gender of my third baby. 

In May 2017 I was scheduled for a laparoscopic surgery to remove my migrated IUD. You can read my story Mirena & Me HERE. The day of the surgery I  decided to do a fun activity with my kids to try to get my mind off of what was about to happen and share a memory with my children. 

I grabbed some rocks from outside and rinsed them off to get the dirt off of them. I laid down some newspaper and pulled out some paint pens and misc kids paint markers I had lying around. The paint markers are less messy than paint and paint brushes.


I let my kids paint whatever they wanted on the rocks which at their age is really just rainbow scribbles which sometimes turn out looking really cool.


I painted a few rocks as well to match each of my kids bedroom themes. The paint dried really fast and because we used paint pens and paint markers, it didn't create much of a mess. 

DIY rock painting activity, rocks, rock painting, children activity, kid activity, free kids activity, free kid craft, rock craft, DIY, kid crafts, fun crafts, fun kid activity, DIY rock painting, painting, outdoor art, outdoor craft, non messy craft, non messy activity, paint rocks, rock animals, rainbow rocks

The kids loved painting the rocks. They got upset when I started cleaning up because they wanted to keep painting the rocks so this will definitely be a go to activity in the future. 

DIY rock painting activity, rocks, rock painting, children activity, kid activity, free kids activity, free kid craft, rock craft, DIY, kid crafts, fun crafts, fun kid activity, DIY rock painting, painting, outdoor art, outdoor craft, non messy craft, non messy activity, paint rocks, rock animals, rainbow rocks

Once we were done painting the rocks, we placed them in the rock bed by our mailbox as decoration. Over time, some of the paint came off but it is most likely the paint we used. The paint pen rocks lasted the longest.

A year later and my kids still like to try to find the painted rocks in the rock bed and pull them out to see who can find the most painted rocks. There are actually still all of the gender reveal rocks hidden in the rock bed and it's been over two years. 

Painting rocks has always been a great activity for kids. I remember painting rocks when I was a kid and hope my kids one day pain rocks with their kids. It is a fun, easy and cheap activity and the kids love it because they are getting to paint. You can paint anything you want on the rocks, make them look like animals, food, flowers, etc. The summer following our rock painting activity, painting rocks actually took off and our county would paint and hide rocks for others to find. I never participated but some of the rocks looked pretty cool. 

If you want your painted rocks to last a long time I recommend using paint pens or regular paint and covering it with a sealant to lock in the paint. 

DIY rock painting activity, rocks, rock painting, children activity, kid activity, free kids activity, free kid craft, rock craft, DIY, kid crafts, fun crafts, fun kid activity, DIY rock painting, painting, outdoor art, outdoor craft, non messy craft, non messy activity, paint rocks, rock animals, rainbow rocks
SaveSave

0 Comments