Pink and White Smash Cake Tutorial

For both my daughter and son's first birthdays I made their smash cakes and made cupcakes out of the rest of the cake batter. I personally think it is a waste of money to spend $15-$35 on a smash cake for your one year old that is going to play with the cake and only eat about one fifth of the cake while the rest usually goes to waste. If you can afford that then more power to you but I prefer to spend $5 and make my own smash cake and cupcakes to go with it. It is a lot easier than you would think and I'm going to show you how I make my children's smash cakes.

pink and white smash cake tutorial, pink and white smash cake, DIY smash cake, do it yourself smash cake, smash cake, first birthday cake, DIY first birthday cake, smash cake on a budget, cake on a budget, smash cake tutorial, homemade birthday cake, homemade smash cake, homemade smash cake tutorial, pink smash cake, smash cake idea, easy smash cake, baby's first cake,

Pink and White Smash Cake

Supplies

  • Cake Mix plus ingredients on the box (usually 2 eggs, vegetable oil, water)
  • 2 Decorating Icings - I used Wilton Decorating Icing. It came with two different tips to use.
  • 1 container of Icing 
  • 6" Small Circular Dish - I use a Pyrex Simple Storage glass dish we have


How To:

1. Preheat the oven and make the cake batter according to the directions on the box. 

2. Grease the pan you plan to bake your smash cake in and pour the cake batter into the pan filling it ¼ of the way full.

3. Use the rest of the cake batter to make cupcakes or a cake.

4. Bake. I set the timer to about 5 minutes shy of what the cupcake time is and check the smash cake. Keep an eye on it because every oven and pan cooks differently so yours may cook the smash cake faster. Let cool.

NOTE: If the top of your smash cake rose like cupcakes do you can cut it off so it is flat if you want to. 

5. Once your cake is cool it is now time to decorate it. I recommend quickly icing the cake to set a base for your decoration and incase you miss a spot so the cake won't show through.

6.  The Wilton Decorating Icing I bought came with two tips. For this cake I used the star tip which is  like the #21 piping tip. For this smash cake I rotated pink and white. I started with the pink icing at the bottom of the cake and went around the cake leaving a small space between dabs. Once I made it back to where I started I went around the cake, filling in the spaces with the white icing. Continue doing this until your smash cake is fully covered.

7. Add a candle, take a picture and let your little one enjoy!


If you are in a hurry and money isn't a problem then the Wilton Decorating Icing Bags will take less time and make less of a mess than using container icing and a piping bag would. I decorated this 6" cake and still had a ¼ to ½ the icing left in both the pink and white Wilton Decorating Icing Bags so there is more icing in them then you think.

You can check out my daughter's first birthday party here: Pink Elephant Birthday Part

Here are some other smash cake Tutorials:


0 Comments